Wednesday, April 8, 2015

MotherDaughter

Fact 1: When my armpits stink, they smell exactly like my mothers. Interesting right? More interesting is why I know the smell of my mom armpits, but in fact, tonight I smelled "her" when in fact I was the one stinking.... So this is life of Mothers and Daughters, you absolutely best and worst rolled into one another. Tonight as we were making our way home from E's game, baby is screaming because he hates the car and wants to nurse, E is screaming because well, because she is 3 and that seems to be her norm lately.. Best way to not freak out in a moment like that.. Listen to worship music and say nothing! I win this one, it didn't feel like a win, but I won. I kept my cool, more on that later!

Lately, life has been absolutely, positively, completely... indescribable, and not because it is so good. It's because I cant even begin to explain what is going on. Today my chest was heavy all morning, tears as I was driving around, running errands, seeking the solace of my moms company for lunch. The idea that at any moment, I am going to break, helpless to make a positive change because I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I am a confused mother, frustrated!
How do you help your daughter who is just like you? She IS just like me, should that not make life easy as pie? I mean who knows ME better than ME? (Answer: God). All her fun sassiness, her humor, her extreme energy, she is the me I wish I could be all the time. When it comes her to positive characteristics, E is loving, compassionate, perfectly feisty, friendly, and loves others. I know that God gifted her those things, as He did to me (wow, I sound so vain right now). BUT, she is also the worst of me... I don't want to flaunt our flaws but they begin with a strong will that won't let go. Her likeness to me makes me think I should understand her more, and be more aware and able to handle her behaviors. I tell myself, how would I want someone to deal with me in this situation? What would have worked to help me do better? I come up blank... Or when I come up with some great logic, it is lost on her - because she is 3. I absolutely don't think it's an excuse - she gets plenty of consequences, but they are often ineffective or the effect is extremely short term. Today I was at the end of my ability to deal.. and then the kids are screaming in the car. Losing at this mom thing was on the horizon for me. I have felt so done, I knew I could not give up on my kids, but I was somehow accepting that I could not win! And if I could not win then our future was bleak at best. "Just give me a vacation!!!" was the cry of my head, "I need an out for now, time to regroup!" I am about to lose it - I decide to worship, and like I said I somehow won. Here is why...

Awesome timing on songs always gets me in those moments of utter chaotic insanity. Mandisa's "Overcomer" came on and I remember, vividly, driving to work singing that song in the midst of my heartache over the loss of our children in these past years. Crying tears of sadness, feeling like I would never overcome those trying times, fearing another lost baby. Yet, tonight as I am stressing out, listening to two children literally screaming, suddenly I hear "God is holding you right now" and a feeling of thankfulness swept over me. Thinking that the baby screaming is the baby I longed for while wailing that song out all that time ago, and then the reason my 3 years old is having emotional, transitional issues is because of that very little baby, I have everything I longed for. Never did I picture it like this, it is a much poetic and lovely looking picture in my mind, but none the less I got it all - I didn't give up or give in to the lies and loss then, I won - I overcame, it was really a beautiful perspective. It didn't make the car quieter, but my heart became happier to deal with the situation (aka the shreks of children)! I am not sure that I will feel like winner tomorrow much more than I did in the past days, or that I will "win" every battle with my 3 year old self (hehehe), but I will keep tonight in mind. God equipped me to be a mom, today, yesterday and He will again tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I Remember car trips like that, not fun at all. Little Gurn still hates riding in the car and he is almost 9. But, at least he doesn't scream anymore. I know what you mean about seeing your own traits in your kids and wondering if it is a blessing or a curse. I am finally learning to embrace the "quirkiness" of Little Gurn and it has made it a whole lot easier. You are a great mama it will get easier every year, especially after age 5. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you are always the first to respond. I miss you so much! Hahaha, it's neither a blessing or curse, its just weird!

      Delete
  2. This is truly awesome that you put YOUR truth out there, a REAL mother's truth!! I am inspired, in tears, by you. I often get upset with myself, usually right after a prayer about how I want God to be in me and show through me in my day and then what happens I get frustrated and lose it with my Jackson, my sweet, tender-hearted Jackson. I have to repent and ask forgiveness not only from my Father but also from my child. Motherhood is definitely the hardest job we could ever do but it also the most rewarding. He loves absolutely everything about me and God gives me a compliment through him exactly when I need it most. I am so thankful for motherhood, the good moments and the bad...it grows up, it brings us closer to our Heavenly Father and it makes my heart smile. Love you Becca!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, that just inspired me again - thank you! I mean, that will preach right there! You too are a fab mom and I am glad we have become friends! Keep pressing on!!!

      Delete